Monday, July 26, 2010

CHILE - IQUIQUE

As I said -time to leave Peru. Everybody wants a share of whatever money you have in your pocket. So it is that Friday morning, 23rd July I left per bus for Chile - a trip from Arequipa to Tacna, the southern most town in Peru and about 12 km from the border post. The road from Arequipa to Tacna travels through the desert region and although now and then there were some spectacular scenes, it mostly look like this.
After 6 hours travelling, we reached Tacna. Approached by a runner for a collectivo (collectivos are like taxis carrying a max of 5 passengers), we left for the border.Peru side was a breeze, with the Chile side quite a long queue. Another 30 minute drive and we arrived in Arica on the Pacific coast. First time I have seen the Pacific ocean. However the town looked like a dog's breakfast to me and I went looking for a bus to take me somewhere else. Saw a place called Iquique on the travel schedule and bought a ticket.It then was about 2.30 pm and bus was only leaving 5.30 pm. Three hours to kill. Went upstairs to the terminal restaurant and ordered a local beer.Halfway through my quart, I got my Lonely Planet guide out to check out accommodation in Iquique.Saw a place called Iquique Backpackers that was in my price range, marked the page for the taxi driver to show when I got there and read some more about the town.Then I got to a page stating that Chile is 2 hours ahead of Peru. Instead of 3 hours to kill, it was only one hour. I surely would have missed that bus had I not picked this up. Why do these tour bus operators not tell you this?
Left 5.30 pm and arrived in Iquique around 11 pm. Got a taxi and booked in at the hostel. Lucky me - got a bed without a resevation. Was told that the previous night it was so full, people slept on the floors.
Really cool place with lots of lounge and entertainment area and 50 meters from the beach.
Saturday night barbecue night and we partied until 2 am. Sunday I slept the whole day and night to the sound of sea waves- dog tired from all the bus rides.So the weather not that fantastic - around 19 degrees and overcast. But it is fine. I need to chill out.Today is Monday.Probably should make plans to move on.
Some scenes from the town.





No comments:

Post a Comment