Thursday, July 1, 2010

STUCK IN RIO DE JANEIRO

Supposed to be on a plane to Lima, Peru today.Not going to happen as a result of two things - misquoted by a travel agency and a limit on my daily cash withdrawal..It all started Monday when I looked at booking a flight ticket on the internet. The cheapest I could find was with TAM airlines for $ 612 (R4896). However the hostel I am with also work with a travel agency and I asked them to get me a quote for comparison sake.When I got the quote it was for 543 R$(reals)which is  approx $270 (R2250) - less than half than I could get on internet. Which one would you go for? Yes, book it please.Here is my credit card.Oops sorry, the agency only takes cash. I have the equivalent of R200 on me and my daily withdrawal limit is R1000 per day. Never thought I would need more than that a day.In fact this meant that I would have to extend my stay by 3 days in order to withdraw R3000 over a period of 3 days. Got onto Skype and tried to get hold of my bank's 0860 number - no luck.Being 6 pm in South Africa, the normal landline was on voice message.That was it..I would have to wait until the bank open tomorrow. Time difference is 5 hours.
Got hold of Nedbank the next morning, who then transferred me to my branch. 10 minutes later it was sorted and  my daily limit was increased.
Had breakfast and a shower and then took the tram to downtown. Withdrew the money and strolled around a little market place, but did not find anything I liked and headed back the hostel.
Realising that the flight for today will be out of the question I asked them to book me for tomorrow. About an hour later they called me down to reception.When I saw her face, I was realised something was wrong. Is something wrong? I asked. Yes,I am sorry. The quote we had yesterday was actually in US $ and not Reals. Typing error, you know. Fine, but new quote in dollars also now more expensive a s a result of new dates.
Went back to the pool area to chill out with my Lonely Planet guide and revise my my plans over a couple of Itaipavu's ( a local beer).In the end decided to go to La Paz, Bolivia first and then make my way up north to Macchu Pichu (Cusco) with  the bus. So, booked my ticket to La Paz ($385) and booked my accommodation for 3 nights in La Paz. All on the internet with no hassles.so leaving Saturday and arriving there 2am Sunday.So that is another 3 days in Rio. So instead of the 4 days I planned to stay in Rio, it turns out to be 12 days. No regrets though..I like this place. Met a lot of people here.
Took in some museums yesterday and finished the evening off with a braai,beer and tequila and great company.
Some pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment