Saturday, July 10, 2010

BOLIVIA - ISLA DE SOL OR SUN ISLAND

Today was spent trekking on a boat to the island. Was a two hour trip to the southern part of  the island, where we dropped some people off and then another half and hour to the northern part, where we disembarked.This island is considered as the creation site of the Incas and the birthplace of the sun.It now has a population of around 2500 people - not sure if any connected to original Incas.The ruins that still remains is situated 4000 meter above sea level and that meant a bit of climbing. We got there about 10.30 am and had three hours to explore the terrain, which meant we had to be back at the boat at 1.30 pm. Another option was to walk  across the island to the southern side, which would take approx 4 hours of walking and then the boat would pick you up on its way back to Copacabana.That option definitely not for me as my ankle would surely have played up on that rocky terrain.
Anyway decided to hit the track as everyone was standing listening to a guy explaining stuff in Spanish. Me - No entiendo Espanol! So off I went on a clearly marked track. Now and then I would stop to catch my breath, enjoy the view and take photos. Got to the ruins about an hour later. Again I expected more.But yes, there it was.

Ok. So there must be more and off I went in the opposite direction following the path  in the photo below,
but going up, thinking that this would be an alternative route down to the harbour and more ruins.
















Slipping and scrambling for foothold now and then, I finally came to a point where I realised that this was in fact the route to the southern part of the island. Only then did I check the time -12.13 pm and the boat was leaving 1.30 pm. It took me nearly 2 hours to get  to this point. Shit I thought - do I continue  for another 2 hours and chance my ankle which was already hurting and get picked up at the southern port, or do I do a 2 hour trip in 1 hour back to the boat.Decided on the latter and seeing my gat twice going down, I reached the boat at 1.16 pm.What a relief when I came trough the alley and saw the boat. I guess I would have been able to make arrangements had I missed it, but yes, I did not.
We cruised back to the south port to pick up those who made the trek, but also had the opportunity to on shore for a quick bite. I opted for a cold beer and a spot in the sun. Marvelous!We left at 3pm and arrived back at Copa about 5 pm.  Said goodbye to all and sundry I met on the boat and rushed back to book my  ticket for Peru the next day. Back in my room, I realised that I was dog tired and had a shower and into bed.Not missing anything here in Copa anyway.
Some more photos of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment