Friday, May 21, 2010

Death road in Bolivia




So I have been reading up on South America and in this chapter on Bolivia came across what is termed the most dangerous road in the world. It is a gravel road and 3.2 meters wide with cliffs dropping up to 600 meters. The road is a winding stretch of 64 km with 3 600 meter vertical descent.






In March 2007 a new repacement road was opened meaning that this road is now mainly used by cyclists,support vehicles and some tourist busses.Prior to the opening of the new road, an average of 26 vehicles per year went over the edge. According to Lonely Planet's guide on South America. around 15 cyclists have gone over the edge. Some tour operators will give you a free T-shirt on completing this harrowing trip.Will you do it for a lousy T-shirt?  (pictures courtesy of various sites)



















1 comment:

  1. Oi Danie - This looks like a smashing trip - something I'm sure will be an advebture to remember - I'm enviouse - so when do you propose leaving? If you need digs in Cancun - do you remember Theo, the freind who went o'erseas with me - he lives there now & I'm sure would lend you a bed or at least a rug to sleep on - give me a yell & I'll give you his contacts. So mate keep up the info on here & we'll watch with anticipation - Cheers Grant

    ReplyDelete